Monday, January 7, 2013

Wining Around Town (Part Deux)

 Monticello Wine Trail

If you missed part one, you can view Wining Around Town Part I via the hyperlink. :)

I started with La Taza then spoke briefly about a favorite of mine, Kind Family Vineyards.  I will now get into the guts of the post...

It has recently come to my attention that there is a Monticello Wine Trail!  It is an association of 22 wineries and vineyards near Charlottesville, Virginia.  My dream weekend series would be to rent a limo and hit every trail.  I might need a few aspirin, but I'll get over it. ;) 

The NORTHERN Trail includes King Family Vineyards, White Hall Vineyards, Stone Mountain Vineyards and Montfair Vineyards  

I have been to King Family, Montfair and White Hall Vineyards, but I haven't been to Stone Mountain yet.  Stinson Winery is also out that direction...

The WESTERN Trail includes Veritas Vineyards & Winery, Afton Mountain Vineyards, Cardinal Point Vineyards & Winery, Wintergreen Winery, Pollak Vineyards and Flying Fox Vineyards.  

I am far less familiar with the Western trail.  I have only been to Veritas (Starry Nights in the Summer is a great event where you can picnic, drink wine and listen to live music) & Afton Mountain Vineyards.  Hunter Smith, whose family owns and operates Afton Mountain Vineyards, just opened Champion Brewing Company in Charlottesville.  I am so proud of his accomplishments and wish him much success.  Stop by if you're in the area!!!

The EASTERN Trail includes Barboursville Vineyards & Ruins, Burnley Vineyards, Horton Cellars Winery & Keswick Vineyards.  Of those, I have been to Barboursville a few time and they have a great Pinot Grigio.  I have been to Keswick once and it is beautiful!  

The SOUTHERN Trail includes Jefferson Vineyards, Blenheim Vineyards, Trump Vineyards (formerly Kluge Estate Winery & Vineyard), First Colony Winery, DelFosse Vineyards & Sugarleaf Vineyards.

Trump is really nice and I like Fist Colony as well.  I have two homes for sale on each side of the vineyard if you're interested. ;)  I'm a little partial there...

The NORTHERN gateway has Sweely Estate Winery and Prince Michel which has won a multitude of awards for their wines. 

If you're curious, you can check out ALL the Virginia Wineries at http://www.virginiawine.org/wineries as this is only a tip of the iceberg!!!!

I hope you enjoyed the blog and found it informational.  Stay safe and always drink responsibly!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment